1. They find time to Exercise or Be Active Every Day. Even if you only have 15 minutes and can’t commit to an entire workout, take a brisk walk, use the stairs, or park farther than normal. Studies show that even 15 minutes, 4-6 times a week can help you stress less, sleep better, even fend off cancer and diabetes. And just because you’re not spending some QT with Tony Horton and the gang with his killer “superman/bananas”, doesn’t mean you have to be sedentary. Of course, this also doesn’t justify that 15 minutes a day should replace your workout regimen, it just means: Stop effin around, I know you can do it.
2. They Don’t Crash Diet. The latest and greatest fad diet or juice cleanse will probably help you shed a few pounds, or help you fit better in a dress for a particular occasion, but chances are, if you’re not introducing healthy, long lasting eating habits to your daily life, the results of any diet or cleanse will not be sustainable long after your best friend’s wedding. The majority of the weight you drop when you lose weight too quickly from these “diets” tends to be water weight, which can lead to major dehydration. NO. BUENO. Your body burns calories and excess weight in stages, so if you try to force your body to lose weight faster than it naturally does, you can cause serious health problems for yourself. Instead, strive to make small changes in the unhealthy ways you nourish your body.
3. They Mix Up Their Routine. Shocking the body is what trainers really rely on when keeping a client in shape. You wouldn’t want to watch the same episode of Law and Order (unless it’s a marathon…on a Sunday…In my pj’s. But I digress.) over and over again and expect to be surprised and or interested by the 3rd time Ice-T brings down the same serial rapist, would you? Our muscles and joints are similar. They get bored and don’t become stimulated by the same boring routine. Try a new Zumba class, go outdoors and hike, or hit the pavement for a light jog through park. It’ll break the monotony of the gym. Besides, haven’t you always wanted to be an aerial yogi? Don’t lie. I know you do.
4. They Keep Alcohol and Soda to a Minimum, if at all. Personally, I’ve cut soda and any artificially sweetened drinks out of my life a few years ago and have never looked back. This change alone has regulated my weight, sugar cravings, and have left me feeling more energized and healthy (even if I’ve skipped a few workouts). As far as alcohol goes, studies show that one weeknight of partying it up actually effects your mood and energy levels for up to 3 days after your crazy night out. 3 days downtime of not feeling your optimal self? No thanks. I’m good.
5. They Focus on Feeling Great and Being Healthy rather than how they look. Sure, we want to look good in that Hervé bandage dress and exercising is always a great way to get that booty that don’t quit, BUT: being active and fit increases overall endorphins, and good wellness habits lead to positive energy and vibrations. If we focus on health and well-being first, the “looks” sure follow. Cue in Audrey Hepburn: “Happiest girls are the prettiest.”