Wantable is an online lifestyle service for women on the go that provides unique Collections (makeup, accessories, intimates) and Edits (fitness apparel and style) that are tailored to fit each customer’s tastes, wants and needs. We love the discovery shopping space and are big fans of other companies in the industry too, like Birchbox. As experts in personal shopping, we wanted to share our honest thoughts on some of the goodies that arrive at our doorstep each month!
Birchbox: January 2017
This month, Birchbox sent us some samples that will help us along in the new year. Is your goal to make 2017 the best year yet? Do you want to be a new and improved version of you? These beauty products are all about self-improvement and taking care of yourself!
ARROW, ENDURE Water-Resistant Mascara
What: This deeply pigmented, water-resistant mascara won’t budge (even during a workout!) and offers clump-free length and volume. Better yet, it’s paraben-free and vegan.
How: Wiggle the lash wand from the roots to the tips of lashes and remove with eye makeup remover.
Verdict: This wonderful vegan mascara works wonders for lash thickness and length and best of all, no animals were harmed in the making of this product!
NUXE, Moisturizer Cream Creme Fraiche de Beaute
What: This best-selling moisturizer (and Parisian favorite) is made with aloe vera and plant milks that help your skin maintain optimum hydration levels so it feels soft and refreshed.
How: Massage into freshly cleansed skin in gentle circular motions, starting from the center of your face and working your way to the edges. For best results, use every morning.
Verdict: Kept my dry skin moisturized all day, A+!
Juliette Has a Gun, MMM…
What: As the name suggests, the fragrance awakens your senses with a sultry, yet sweet, mix of vanilla, orange blossom, and sandalwood.
How: Spritz fragrance onto pulse points.
Verdict: Another perfume? Pass.
PARLOR by Jeff Chastain, Moisturizing & Repairing Shampoo
What: A lightweight, sulfate-free cleanser infused with softening and strengthening ingredients.
How: Massage a small amount evenly through wet hair and work into a lather. Rinse thoroughly. Repeat if desired.
Verdict: I had a tough time getting this to lather, but my hair did feel stronger when it dried.
Number 4, Lumiere d’hiver Floro5 Elixer Restore and Repair Oil
What: This strand-saving elixir gives drab, dull hair a coveted movie star shine.
How: Distribute one to two pumps through damp hair, then style as usual. For added radiance, apply one pump of product to dry hair.
Verdict: Great for adding shine and body, but be careful not to use too much. A little bit goes a long way.
Why Birchbox is awesome:
- No need to shop for travel-sized toiletries – you’re set for your next trip!
- Your purse will undoubtedly get stuffed with the latest samples so you can always stay at the top of your beauty game.
- Name brand products to try before you buy.
- Great price! $10/month is easy on your pocketbook.
Things we don’t love about Birchbox:
- It’s not personalized. You fill out a quick quiz, but there’s no way of knowing if the products received really match our preferences. We wish you could tell them to stop sending us deep red lip colors!
- We have so many samples that we don’t know what to do with them!
- You get locked into a 3, 6, or 12-month subscription without the option to skip or cancel anytime.
- Repetition. You’ll receive the same brands over and over again, and sometimes even the same samples.
- Size. The samples range from nearly full size to downright tiny, allowing for only two or three uses.
- Expect a few tiny perfume samples even though you could easily get your hands on free ones at the mall.
- If you have a yearly subscription, you must email in order to cancel.
- Returns aren’t offered, so you’re stuck with the items from your box you don’t like.
- Categories include Collections: Makeup, Accessories, Intimates OR Edits: Fitness Apparel.
- Personally tailored to you. With a 32 question proprietary Like, Love, and Dislike scale, customers get exactly what they’re looking for.
- Products are full-sized.
- Keep what you love, return what you don’t. Customers can return anything they don’t like for a refund.
- It’s a discovery! Wantable sends niche brands that you might not know about, but we think you’ll love!
- Free shipping for US customers (return shipping is free, too!)
- Earn “keep all” credits for discounted Collections.
*Disclaimer: Please note that this review reflects my own personal opinions on Birchbox and Wantable, and the brands included in the subscription.