Flatter Your Figure: The Rectangle Body Shape
We know you’re not a literal quadrilateral, but these tips will help keep your wardrobe on the straight and narrow.
Trying to identify your body type can be one tricky task. Tape measures, celebrity photos, and mathematical equations are all a bit much if you ask us. We’re here to help you define your body type by keeping it simple. Instead of focusing on the archaic do’s and don’ts of dressing, we’ve focused on the value of flattering your body type with pieces that will become your body’s new best friends (if they aren’t acquaintances already). We like to think of these tips more as guidelines because let’s face it, life is too short to not break the rules once in a while.
The Rectangle Body Shape
You have a slim or athletic build, with fairly even proportions from shoulder to hip.
Rectangle Outfit Ideas
Jumpsuits were made for your athletic body shape. Choose a style that’s easy and draped, or pick a piece with a tie to create waist definition. Whether you go for straight or cinched in, either style is equally flattering.
Classically cool with a twist, a colorful moto jacket gives off a fun, laid-back vibe. Selecting one with a belt or added details along the hem will effortlessly accentuate your natural waistline.
Emphasize your straight shape with relaxed boyfriend jeans. Tailored pieces on top paired with a loose fitting bottom make sure your fab figure isn’t getting lost in a baggy bottom abyss.
Your Body’s BFFs
• Round necklines, whether it be crewneck or scoop neck, flaunt your décolletage and naturally draw the eye outward towards your shoulders.
• You’ve got amazing shoulders, so don’t be afraid to show them off with a racerback or high-neck tank.
• Lucky for you, a straight body type can get away with nearly any type of jacket. From a bomber to a trench and everything in between, the outerwear world is your oyster.
• Literally, any kind of denim or pant cut under the sun will flatter your figure. Wide-leg, skinny, boyfriend – you name it. No matter the shape, try to find a pair with a mid to high rise that defines your waist.
• Similar to bottoms, you can play with a wide variety of jumpsuits (we’re sensing a theme, here). Jumpsuits work for both formal and casual occasions, so it doesn’t hurt to have a few different shapes and styles on hand. Plus, who doesn’t love the convenience of a one-and-done piece?
• Shorter skirts & dresses with playful patterns and colors are great options for a straight body shape. If you find yourself on the petite end of the spectrum, opt for vertical stripes for an elongating effect.
• Don’t be afraid to ruffle a few feathers with exaggerated silhouettes. With your shoulders evenly proportioned with your hips, you can experiment with wearing tops with ruffles, statement sleeves, or a combination of both.
• It’s all about balance, balance, balance, so when you’re planning your OOTD (or if you’re a superstar and plan ahead for the week), choose whether or not you’ll add volume on top or the bottom, not both.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.