Figuring out what to wear to an office holiday party can cause a bit of stress on top of the usual hustle & bustle of December. After all, you’re already busy deciding what to get your Secret Santa and balancing a full workload around extra days off.
Not to mention, it can be a tad tricky (especially with vaguely defined dress codes) to find the perfect holiday outfit that is equal parts festive and flattering. You’re in luck! We’ve rounded up 20 stylist-approved office holiday party pieces, complete with expert styling advice that’ll be sure stun your coworkers and fuel your self-confidence.
top image: @jennyy_luxe
What to Wear to an Office Holiday Party
Keep scrolling to get the low down on what to wear to an office holiday party. Wantable Stylists share tips and tricks on how to style four of our favorite festive pieces.
What to Wear to A Work Happy Hour: A Luxe Duster
While dusters are often considered with cozy lounge pieces, we are obsessing over the luxe velvet and sequin textures in this elevated line of BB Dakota Sequin and Velvet Duster Jackets. Request on in your next Style Edit for your work happy hour (or any other holiday celebration!) and you’ll be lookin’ bomb and feeling cozy at casual celebrations over cocktails.
Tips for Styling a Duster Jacket:
- Contrasting textures in your ensemble exudes confidence, so don’t be afraid to shake things up a bit.
- Start with your focal piece (lookin’ at you, luxe duster), add in accents of faux suede or faux leather, and you’ve nailed a look that feels both effortless and edgy.
- For an effortless and laid-back look, pair with a graphic tee.
- Feel free to dress down with the denim or elevate your look with a slip skirt. (It’s this season’s trend that pairs with everything, and we’re all for sneaking it into our ensemble at any opportunity!)
What to Wear to A Holiday Potluck at Work: Midi Dress
If your office holiday party is during the work-day, it can be hard to figure out what to wear that works both for the conference room potluck and bouncing from meeting to meeting. When in doubt, reach for the always-versatile midi dress. It still maintains an air of professionalism while being a knockout piece that’s sure to impress your colleagues.
“The Marigold of Eventide Dress is so soft and shiny with its 100% polyester fabric!” says Wantable Stylist, Marina D. “This dress is both eye-catching and pairs perfectly with all your favorite year-round colors. Plus it has an incredibly flattering silhouette!”
featuring: Sadie & Sage Marigold Of Eventide Midi Dress
Tips for Styling a Midi Dress:
- If your midi dress has a bold print, keep it simple by pairing with dainty & unique jewelry.
- Select pieces that set your style apart and have fun with pieces you may not wear on a day-to-day basis, like a faux fur vest.
- Try pairing your midi dress with a quilted jacket or edgy moto jacket.
- Layer a cropped chunky knit over it for an even cozier ensemble… (here are 30 cozy sweaters we adore!)
What to Wear to a Fancy Office Holiday Party: Something Sequin
If your office has planned an elaborate holiday party, reach for some sparkling sequins (oh, fancy). A blazer with shimmering sequin details feels classic enough to wear around your coworkers but daring enough for the special occasion.
Tips for Styling Sequins:
- Take your party get-up to the next level with coated denim and a sleek camisole.
- Sticking to all black sequins feels sophisticated while the edgy textiles make for a fun ensemble that you wouldn’t normally wear on any other workday.
- For a more relaxed look, pair your sequins over something cozy and casual like a tailored sweater, a pair of clean wash denim, and booties.
What to Wear to a Low-Key Holiday Party : Festive Wide-Leg Pants
featuring: Skies Are Blue Satin Belted Pant in Black
If you have somewhat of an untraditional office setting, your office holiday party may be more laid-back than most. While a comfy pants might not feel like the most obvious choice for an office party, these unique finishes feel aligned with the season. Experiment with different textures like a sweater, foil silver, satin or corduroy to find what best suits your shape and style.
Tips for Styling Wide-Leg Pants:
- To elevate your look pair wide leg pants with simple, strappy heels.
- Dress up with a metallic top (like this one) or down with a cozy sweater.
- Front tuck your top to pull it all together.
We’re here to help you put the perfect holiday office party outfit together. In fact, Wantable stylists are literally professionals at picking out what to wear to an office holiday party. Just leave a note for your stylist and they’ll be sure to include some of our trending holiday pieces in your next Edit!